Claim your money and papers from us

If you need this guidance in a language other than English or in alternative formats, please contact us and we will provide it for you. If you need extra help with making a claim we will work with someone who has your permission to represent you, such as a new solicitor or legal advisor, or a member of Citizens Advice or other support agency.

If you believe that a firm regulated by us owes you money, you may be able to claim money to cover your loss from our Compensation Fund.

If we have closed the firm, we appointed intervention agents, who will return clients' money and papers if possible.

However, it is possible we will hold your money and files if the agent has been unable to identify who they belong to. If you think the firm has not accounted to you for money you have given it, or if you are seeking your papers, please contact us.

If you think a firm has not accounted to you for money, you may make a claim from the Compensation Fund. This is a discretionary fund, and we will make a decision about whether we think you are entitled to a grant from it. Help and guidance is provided below. If you need more help, you can contact us.

Help and guidance

Am I eligible?

For you to be eligible to apply, the loss must have happened during the normal work of a person or firm regulated by us, and you must

  • have suffered loss because of their dishonesty, or
  • have suffered loss and hardship due to their failure to account for money they have received.

You do not need to be a client or a former client.

Important factors

"Failure to account" includes failure by a regulated person or firm to finish work for which they have been paid.

You may be asked to provide evidence of hardship.

You are not automatically entitled to a grant out of the fund.

We will not make a grant resulting in you receiving more than £2 million.

If you ask a new firm to help you make your claim and you receive a payment, we may also pay your new firms' costs in line with our guidelines. We will give you guidance on this if you contact us.

How to make a claim—what you need to do

To make a claim, first have a read through our guidance via the links above. You may need to contact us to find out more about your eligibility to make a claim, or to reclaim papers relating to your claim.

Once you have all the information that you need to support your claim, download an application form (PDF 381K, 5 pages; DOC 320K, 5 pages) and return to us with your evidence attached, by

  • post, to
    Claims Management Unit
    Solicitors Regulation Authority
    The Cube
    199 Wharfside Street
    B1 1RN
  • DX 720293 BIRMINGHAM 47, or
  • email claims.management@sra.org.uk.

How we will handle your claim

After you have completed and returned the application form and supporting evidence to us, we will investigate your claim. If we need more information, we will ask you for it. We will deal with your claim as quickly as possible. Sometimes issues are complex and may take time to consider.

We will decide whether to make a payment and inform you of our decision.

If we refuse to pay you or pay you less than you have claimed, we will write to you and tell you why. You can appeal against our decision. In such cases, we will not pay any grant until the appeal period has expired. If you appeal, we will wait until your appeal has been decided and then pay any grant awarded on appeal.

We aim to provide the highest standards when processing your claims; however, if you feel that we have not lived up to the terms of the customer charter, you can complain to us.

Please use www.sra.org.uk/claim to link to this page.