Records disposal schedules
Please note that the content below is under review and will be updated in due course.
The records disposal schedules which follow form part of a set of procedures supporting the records management policy of the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).
They provide evidence of compliance with legislation such as the Data Protection Act 1998 and our Freedom of Information Code of Practice, as well as adherence to best practice standards in recordkeeping.
The schedules will assist the SRA to:
- Reduce multiple sets of identical records and data.
- Remove obsolete or inaccurate information.
- Improve business processes.
- Meet legislative compliance requirements.
- Create corporate rules for records disposal as part of new system implementation.
Destruction of records in accordance with the provisions of these schedules will be suspended if it becomes apparent that there is any possibility of anticipated litigation or regulatory investigation.
The records disposal schedules below fall into two categories:
- General schedules which cut across organisational boundaries to cover records common to all business units or which are shared between units.
- Specific schedules covering the operational records of each business unit.
Business-unit specific schedules
Please use www.sra.org.uk/recordsman to link to this page.